Course OverviewDownload PDF
C++'s flexibility, modelling power, support for object-oriented and generic programming, and extensive tool set, make it attractive for embedded projects, but some developers worry about code bloat and hidden performance penalties. In this seminar, you will learn how to confront those issues directly in this seminar. Additionally, you will learn how C++ can improve the correctness, readability, and efficiency of embedded software-in some cases accomplishing what is literally impossible in C.
Note: You are required to bring your own laptop.
- Designers and developers who are using or considering using C++ in embedded systems
- How compilers implement virtually every part of the language
- Avoiding code bloat from templates, exceptions, and other language features
- Using C++ with ROM, memory-mapped IO, ISRs and signal handlers, and custom memory management schemes
- How C++ templates can provide powerful functionality difficult or impossible to implement in C
- Issues related to the use of C++ in safety-critical and real-time systems
1. C++ Under the Hood
- The Efficiency Philosophy Behind C++
- Detailed Examination of Virtual Function Implementation under Single and Multiple Inheritance
- Overview of How All Other Language Features Are Implemented
- Causes of Code Bloat and How To Address Them
- The Crucial Role of Inlining
2. Three Approaches to Interface-Based Programming
- Virtual functions and Runtime Polymorphism
- Separate Compilation and Link-Time Polymorphism
- Templates and Compile-Time Polymorphism
3. Applying C++ in Embedded Systems
- Rules for What Can and Cannot Be ROMed
- Memory Management:
- Modeling Memory-Mapped IO (MMIO):
- Implementing Callbacks for C APIs (e.g., ISRs):
- Overview of TR1 and Boost
- Interesting Template Applications
4. Considerations for Safety-Critical and Real-Time Systems
5. Sources for Additional Information
- Familiarity with major C++ language features (e.g., classes, virtual functions, inheritance, and templates) although expertise is not required
We offer training globally in over 36 countries, for course dates, please contact us
Bring Training to You
Request schedule for this course
Request a Quote for this Class
We provide government and government contractor discounts, please request a quote
total option: 0
Hotel and Travel can be included on your quote.
For immediate response, you can call 1-855-515-2170 or we will provide a quote within 4 business hours. Travel must be booked 14 days before training for rate to apply.
Learn How to Become a Managed Learning Member
Request a Quote
Thank you for requesting a quote, we will be in touch shortly with a quote. If you need immediate assistance, please call 855-515-2170.