SSFRULES - Securing Cisco Networks with Snort® Rule Writing Best Practices
List Tuition : $3,000.00 USD
Course OverviewDownload PDF
This course focuses exclusively on the Snort© rules language and rule writing. Starting from rule syntax and structure to advanced rule-option usage, you will analyze exploit packet captures and put the rule writing theories learned to work by implementing rule-language features for triggering alerts on the offending network traffic.
This course also provides instruction and lab exercises on how to detect certain types of attacks (such as buffer overflows) while utilizing various rule-writing techniques. You will test your rule-writing skills in two challenges: a theoretical challenge that tests knowledge of rule syntax and usage, and a practical challenge in which we present an exploit for you to analyze and research so you can defend your installations against the attack.
This course combines lecture materials and hands-on labs throughout to make sure that you are able to thoroughly understand and implement open source rules.
- Security administrators
- Security consultants
- Network administrators
- System engineers
- Technical support personnel
- Channel partners and resellers
- Understand rule structure, rule syntax, rule options, and their usage
- Configure and create Snort rules
- Understand the rule optimization process to create efficient rules
- Understand preprocessors and how data is presented to the rule engine
- Create and implement functional regular expressions in Snort rules
- Design and apply rules using byte_jump/test/extract rule options
- Understand the concepts behind protocol modeling to write rules that perform better
1. Welcome to the Sourcefire Virtual Network
2. Basic Rule Syntax and Usage
3. Rule Optimization
4. Using PCRE in Rules
5. Using Byte_Jump/Test/Extract Rule Options
6. Protocol Modeling Concepts and Using Flowbits in Rule Writing
7. Case Studies in Rule Writing and Packet Analysis
8. Rule Performance Monitoring
9. Rule Writing Practical Labs, Exercises, and Challenges
- Technical understanding of TCP/IP networking and network architecture
- Working knowledge of how to use and operate Cisco Sourcefire© Systems or open source Snort
- Working knowledge of command-line text editing tools, such as th
We offer training globally in over 36 countries, for course dates, please contact us
Request a Discounted Quote
Bring Training to You
Request schedule for this course
Request a Quote for this Class
We provide government and government contractor discounts, please request a quote
total option: 0
Hotel and Travel can be included on your quote.
For immediate response, you can call 1-855-515-2170 or we will provide a quote within 4 business hours. Travel must be booked 14 days before training for rate to apply.
Learn How to Become a Managed Learning Member
Request a Quote
Thank you for requesting a quote, we will be in touch shortly with a quote. If you need immediate assistance, please call 855-515-2170.