Course OverviewDownload PDF
Managing a complex project means not only having fantastic project managementskills, but also understanding how to deal with the chaos of today's workplace.Technology, requirements, partnerships, and competitive strategies arecontinually updating and transforming and a strong project manager must learnhow to adapt to these changes while leading the project to successfulcompletion. This class will help you master dealing with these complexities andlead with success.
Learn to determine the level of complexity of your project, develop tacticsto manage that complexity, and discover strategies for taking your project team'to the edge of chaos' where innovation and creativity happen. Avoidbeing caught off guard by change, and prepare yourself with ways to optimizeyour team's performance and manage the unknown.
In class activities that comprise 75% of this course, you will practicedetermining complexity and learn how to keep your approach flexible to managethe constant adjustment of complex projects in today's workplace.
Students pursuing a university-recognized and/or accredited certificate in Canada or continuing education units in the US must attend at least 90% of class time, participate in class exercises and section-knowledge checks, and score at least 70% on an end-of-class, multiple-choice assessment.
Project managers, IT project managers, project leaders, senior project managers, and program managers who have senior responsibility for high-risk, high-dollar, high-reward projects and programs.
- Systems thinking and project management
- Chaos theory and project management
- Skills needed to lead a complex project
- Complexity theory and how to assess your project complexity
- Right structure for complex projects
- Assessing risk for complex projects
1. The Complex Project
- Systems Thinking
- Chaos and Complexity Theory
- How these relate to project management
2. Leading Complex Projects
- Skills required
- Complex project competency self-assessment
- PMI competencies
- Start personal mastery plan
3. Fundamentals of Complexity Theory
- What is complexity?
- Types of complexity
- Fitness landscape
- Chaos as it relates to complexity theory
- Complexity theory
- Linear and non-linear systems
- Complex adaptive systems
4. Assessing Your Project Complexity
- Complex project toolkit
- Elements of project complexity
- Organization breakdown structure
- Work breakdown structure
- Use the complexity assessment tool (CAT)
- Strategies of planning and managing complex projects
5. Structuring Your Project for Success
- Selecting the right project management methodology
- How to incorporate that methodology into your current processes
6. Risk Planning and Management
- Types of risks in complex projects
- Approaches to identification
- Risk assessment and response planning
7. Leading Complex Projects
- Assess your leadership competencies
- Applying adaptive leadership to complex projects
- Communicating a vision
- Implementing strategies to encourage innovation and build a cohesive team
- Types of personal behaviors and how to get the most out of people
- Identifying techniques for leveraging complexity
- Develop Your Personal Mastery Plan
- Assess Project Complexity
- Stakeholder Analysis and Planning
- Risk Identification and Response Planning
We offer training globally in over 36 countries, for course dates, please contact us
Request a Discounted Quote
Bring Training to You
Request schedule for this course
Request a Quote for this Class
We provide government and government contractor discounts, please request a quote
total option: 2
Hotel and Travel can be included on your quote.
For immediate response, you can call 1-855-515-2170 or we will provide a quote within 4 business hours. Travel must be booked 14 days before training for rate to apply.
Learn How to Become a Managed Learning Member
Request a Quote
Thank you for requesting a quote, we will be in touch shortly with a quote. If you need immediate assistance, please call 855-515-2170.